Thursday, May 7, 2009

Baby steps...

"The first step towards getting somewhere is to decided that you are not going to stay where you are." ~ John Pierpont Morgan

Last night I listened in on the bonus class for the teleseminar I'm taking. Our topic covered how to make things happened. Not in a pull-a-magic-rabbit-out-of-a-hat sort of way, but more of a find-a-way-to-get-said-rabbit-into-the-hat kind of way. It was a very motivating night with a lot of very useful information.

Well, later this morning I stumbled across the above quote and I really like the way it sums up the importance of not necessarily knowing how to start, but coming to the decision to make your move, as it were, on life.

Today was my follow through day in response to the classes thus far and I feel great about how much I got done! I made a list of three things that I absolutely wanted to accomplish, and lo and behold, they got done! Of the things on my petite list, I'm most proud of signing up to read at my local library for their preschool time. Since the show I directed just closed, I wanted to keep the creative juices flowing, but also to practice my voicing, so I talked with one of the librarians and we've decided to have me read "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" by Dr. Seuss. We're going to make it Wacky Hat Day at the Library and then I'm going to read my story to the kids.

I'm living in a small town right now, and there aren't an awful lot of voicing opportunities at the moment, but reading aloud at the library feels great. Volunteer work is right up there with homework in my secretly-enjoyable-pastimes. While it makes me feel good to do things for other people, it makes me feel good about my goals to keep up with my voice acting at the same time. I'm killing two karma birds with one cosmic stone! And I'm pretty happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment